Don’t let the Grinch steal your joy this holiday season. As the holidays approach, the Folsom Police Department reminds the public to harden their target. Police encourage folks to lessen the likelyhood of becoming victims of crime such as theft, burglary, or internet related crimes, by taking a proactive approach.
Here are some tips you can use to avoid being a victim of crime:
– Be aware of your surroundings while shopping (park in a brightly lit area).
– Don’t leave anything of value in your vehicle (GPS, laptop, purse, shopping bags, etc).
– Be aware of suspicious people and vehicles in your neighborhood.
– Be aware of telephone and internet scams (if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is).
– Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail, or follow unfamiliar links.
Be cautious about purchasing gift cards. It’s safest to purchase gift cards from actual merchants as opposed to auction sites, or classified ads.
The holidays are meant to be enjoyed by spending quality time with friends and family. Have fun, know your surroundings, and be safe!